Historic timeline

The town of Hameln was one of the most fortified cities till 1808, surrounded by walls and towers. Hameln was also called the "Gibraltar of the North".

Since 1350 people have already known how to protect the fields and pastures and built around the border with an outer ring, which was called a border fort consisting wall, brambles and ditches. There were some "Watchtowers" standing on the junctions between the road leading outside and the border fort.

In Hameln, there are still 5 of the "Warten" remembered by local people, which have been first mentioned in 1385. Originally, each one consisted of a tower, with guards living on the top. This place is accessible with a retractable ladder. In later centuries, the guards have been hired to keep an eye on the fields, monitor the boundary ditches, kinks, territorial reserve and landmarks, as well as a gate handle of border and the customs etc. All the people who would pass the gate here had to pay some passing-through fare. Some people suffered from infectious diseases (epidemics) from the city could get the treatment in the "Warte". The first appearing people in the "Warte" were tenants; later the city government had a hereditary lease with the waiting people as "Pertinenzen". There were hospitality, house, barn, bake house, 9 acres of farmland, garden, camp and pasture for four cows and two oxen in "Berkeler Warte". Finally, the city government sold the "Warte" to the one who offered the highest bid.

In 1850, a piggery construction in a foundation of a tower was found in the "Berkeler Warte". The former watchtower had to give back all the stones from the courtyard walls.

first mention of the "Berkeler Warte"

from 1650
With the introduction of the murderous and wall-breaking firearms the "Warten" lost its strategic importance

Increasing complaints about the poor state of the "Warten"

Johannes Friedrich Pieper of Gross Berkel leased the "Berkeler Warte" for a long period of time

He took the "Berkeler Warte" on a long lease for 100 coins and an annual rent of 40 coins

He built the stately half-timbered building as a hostel and farmhouse

1801 - 1813
Multiple occupation of the "Warte" by French troops

With Napoleon's orders to dismantle the fortress Hameln, the "Warte" finally lost importance as an outpost

The wife (newly married, 16 years old) of the leaseholder of the "Warte" killed a French soldier with the crap hook, because he molested her when she was milking a cow. The fact was covered up.

The kinks being cut, care benefits and costs were too high.

Construction of the massive sandstone barn, today's "Rattenfängerscheune." The last of the turnpike road block was built with its Guelph yellow-white painting in the barn.

Friedrich Pieper (grandson of Johannes Friedrich) solved the "Warte" for 2000 coins. He turned to be the owner now and was called "Oeconom".

Convened a meeting of Hitler's headquarters, but used their own food and drinks

Agriculture was abandoned, the "Berkeler Warte" becomes only a hostel

The old "Berkeler Warte" was torn, it must give way to the expansion of the federal road B1.

After 6 generations, Grete Pieper gave the "Berkeler Warte" to other hands.

After the tenant exchange and extensive renovation, the "Berkeler Warte" is available as "Rattenfängerhotel" again for our guests as tourist accommodation.
We offer 53 beautiful and comfortable rooms, 3 meeting rooms and traditional cuisine in the "Guten Stube", the "großen Saal" and "Gästezimmer". The "Rattenfängerscheune" and the "Swien-Stall" are available for family celebrations.